Muslim clerics under umbrella of Council of Imams and Ulamas ,Kaduna State has called on Federal and Kaduna State governments to arrest and prosecute Senator Danjuma Laah , Dr. John Danfulan ,House of Reps Members , Hon. Sunday Marshal Katung for making inflammatory statements and instigating the recent Southern Kaduna crises .
The Ulamas also called for the arrest of the President , Christian Association of Nigeria, Dr Samson Olasopu Ayokunle and CAN Secretary General , Reverend Musa Asake , SOKAPU President ,Barrister Solomon Musa and all his executive members as well ad all others found involved in the crises .
Addressing journalists today on state of affairs in Southern Kaduna , Chairman of the Imams and Ulamas , Sheikh Abubakar Babantune said the Council is in support of Federal and Kaduna State government in taking any measures legally to deal with any individual or group of persons without fear or favour with the intention of causing further disturbances or breach of peace in order to have a lasting peace in the state.
According to him , in the last one year , Kaduna State has not been in peace resulting from the activities of some mischief makers and reckless utterances of Southern Kaduna political and religious leaders .
While stating that the council of imams and ulama is most disturbed with the recent events in the southern part of the state , he said the recent Kafanchan demonstration was organized by those who don’t want peace in Southern Kaduna .
Read Full text :
A TEXT OF A PRESS CONFERENCE BY THE COUNCIL OF IMAMS AND ULAMA KADUNA STATE, HELD ON MONDAY, 9TH JANUARY 2017 AT ITS HEADQUATERS KADUNA
THE STATE OF AFFAIRS IN SOUTHERN KADUNA-OUR STAND
In the last one year or so, Kaduna State has not been in peace resulting from the activities of some mischief makers and the reckless utterances of southern Kaduna political and religious leaders. The Council of Imams and Ulama is most disturbed with the recent events in the southern part of the State in particular the recent demonstration organized by persons who don’t want peace in Kafanchan which led to the merciless killings and destruction of property worth millions of Naira.
To actualize their sentimental zeal by way of making insinuative statements that could destabilize the state, several news report credited to southern Kaduna political and religious leaders urging their people to take arms to defend themselves and nothing was done to prevent its occurrence until the worse had happened. Thus, the situation degenerated into the senseless and merciless massacre of hundredth of Hausa/Fulani Muslims in that area.
Some of these obnoxious statements are:
1. On Tuesday, October 18th, 2016, Barrister Sunday Marshall Katung, a member representing Zangon Kataf/Jaba Federal Constituency said in a statement “the people of southern Kaduna might be left with no option than to resort to self help should the Federal Government failed to act test”.
2. On Thursday, November 18, 2016 the Chairman of the 19 Fellowship-District Church Council (DCC) Reverend Zachariah Gado in a press statement on the creation of grazing reserves called on the State and Federal Governments to restore all occupied areas to their rightful owners saying “failure to do so would not only encourage further lawlessness but could compel the owners of the villages to resort to forceful means to recover their ancestral lends”.
3. On Wednesday, November 24h, 2016, the President of the Christians Association of Nigeria (CAN) Dr Samson Olasupo Ayokunle speaking in Abuja alleged that “102 Christians were killed, 50,000 houses burnt while another 215 injured since May 2015 by suspected Fulani Herdsmen in Kaduna state”.
4. On December 24th , 2016, Mr. Danjuma La’ah, the Senator representing Southern Kaduna Senatorial Zone appealed to his people to “henceforth defend themselves, their lives and property against such attacks” but contradicted himself by adding “that they should not take the law into their hands”.
5. On Monday, December 26th, 2016 the Southern Kaduna Peoples Union (SOKAPU) an indivisible part of the Christians Association of Nigeria (CAN) issued a very inflammatory press statement making a wild allegation against the Muslim as well as accusing the Kaduna State Governor of complicity in all the crises”.
The foregoing statements worsened the security situation in the area.
While the victims are still mourning the death, nursing the wounded and counting their losses, and in spite of the efforts by all relevant stake holders to restore peace in the troubled areas, one trouble maker Dr John Danfaulani featured in Sunday interview of The AUTHENTIC News Magazine where he was quoted as saying “the only solution to southern Kaduna crises is bearing of arms by everybody”.
No wonder some people had already heeded to the advice and stockpiling weapons. In the same vein 17 Christian Militias were recently arrested by the Police Joint Tactical Operation Squad attached to the Operation Harmony. One of the suspects, Nelson Kpok aged 48 years confirmed that he has been running arms for several years while another Yakubu Dangana told journalist that he has possessed the gun to defend himself. The suspects were also found with large catchment of AK-47s, local guns, ammunitions and N400,000.00 in cash and two others were also arrested in Kagoma by the Army.
The failure of previous governments to punish the perpetrators of past crises led to all subsequent crises in the State. For example;
i. The Justice Okadigbo’s tribunal of 1992 on Zangon kataf crises found General Zamani Lekwot(Rtd) and five others guilty and sentenced them to death which was not executed.
ii. The whitepaper of the Judicial Commission of Inquiry into Kaduna State Religious disturbances of 2001 recommended for further investigation and reprimand of
• Elder Saidu Dogo
• Archbishop P. Y. Jatau
• Archbishop B. A. Achigili
iii. The whitepaper on the report of the Federal Government Investigation Panel on the 2011 Election Violence and Civil Disturbances recommended among others for the Police to investigate a History Teacher that slaughtered the father of his student in her presence.
These few cases and others drew the attention of the Council to calion the government to arrest and prosecute persons who made inflammatory statements that instigated the crises. These include;
• Reverend Zachariah Gado-Chairman 19 DCC Fellowship,
• Dr Samson Olasopu Ayokunle-the President Christians Association of Nigeria and the Secretary General, Rev Dr Musa Asake,
• Senator Danjuma La’ah-Senator representing Southern Kaduna Senatorial Zone,
• Barrister Sunday Marshall Katung-Member representing Zongon KatafjJaba Federal Constituency,
• Barrister Solomon Musa, SOKAPU President and all his executive members
• Dr John Danfulani
• And any person found involved.
The Council is in support of the Federal and Kaduna State Government in taking any measures legally to deal with any individual or group of persons without fear or favour with the intention of causing further disturbances or breach of peace in order to have a lasting peace in the state.
Finally, the Council wishes to commend the sense of maturity exhibited by the Governor of Kaduna State Mal. Nasiru Ahmad EI-Rufa’i and all the members of Security Council for not responding to the provocation and molestation by some misguided and irresponsible women and youths of southern Kaduna enclave.
The Council is once again calling on all Imams and Ulama to pray for a permanent peace and economic prosperity in Kaduna State and the Country in general
Chairman, Shiekh Abubakar Babatune
Secretary General ,Aminu Ibrahim