Southern Kaduna Killings : Police Caution Media Against Misrepresentation of Facts
By John Femi Adi:
The Nigeria Police Area Command , Kafanchan , Kaduna State has frowned at the figures reflected in the publications on Southern Kaduna attacks and killings ,which it said do not represent the facts on ground.
The Police noted that inasmuch as the Force acknowledged the fact that there were few isolated cases of attacks recently in some settlements, it enjoined the media practitioners to always verify their information in order to avoid decimation of information that are not accurate and likely to mislead members of the public.
Read full :
PRESS RELEASE ON OPERATION HARMONY
TO RESTORE LASTING PEACE IN SOUTHERN KADUNA
1. The Nigeria Police Force is constrained to react to publications by some print media regarding killings in Southern Kaduna in which purported number of persons were said to have been killed.
In as much as the Force acknowledged the fact that there were few isolated cases of attacks recently in some settlements, however, the figures reflected in the publications do not represent the facts on ground and therefore enjoin the print media to always verify their information in order to avoid decimation of information that are not accurate and likely to mislead members of the public.
2. The Force therefore wishes to reassure members of the public especially people of Southern Kaduna that the Inspector General of Police (IGP) Ibrahim K. Idris in his resolve to restore peace in all parts of the country and particularly southern Kaduna which has witnessed crisis in recent times, has deployed a special task force comprising of officers and men of proven integrity that are trained to respond decisively to any situation that is likely to threaten peaceful coexistence of the citizens. In view of the importance attached to this operation, the leadership of the Police Mobile Force has been relocated to Kafanchan to oversee the operations whose personnel were largely drawn from the Police Mobile Force and other specialized component units of the Force. The Deputy Inspector General of Police, Operations is directly coordinating this assignment in Kafanchan.
3. The Force therefore wishes to reassure members of the public that adequate security measures have been emplaced to respond at short notice of any attempt by misguided elements or trouble makers to disrupt the peace of the area.
4. In the same vein, the Force also advices that citizens should remain law abiding and go about their lawful businesses as their safety is guaranteed and at the same time the force will not fold its arms and watch any person or group of persons undermine the law of the land and will therefore deal decisively with any such groups in accordance with the law.
5. Members of the public should therefore report any suspicious movements or activities that are likely to temper with the peaceful atmosphere to the police and other security agencies.
DIG HABILA JOSHAK
DEPUTY INSPECTOR GENERAL OF POLICE (OPERATIONS)
OPERATION HARMONY COMMAND HEADQUARTERS,
THE NIGERIA POLICE AREA COMMAND, KAFANCHAN