The members of House of Representatives today resolved to refer embattled Honourable Abdulmumin Jibrin’s budget padding allegations against the Speaker , Yakubu Dogara and other House members to Committee on Ethics and Privileges for proper investigation.
According to the statement issued , the Committee shall report its findings and make appropriate recommendations to the House within one week.
Read full statement:
BREACH OF PRIVILEGES OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA (THE HOUSE); BREACH OF THE PRIVILEGES OF MEMBERS OF THE HOUSE; CONTEMPT OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES; BREACH OF THE PRACTICES, PRECEDENTS AND USAGES OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES AND SUNDRY ACTS OF MISCONDUCT AGAINST THE MEMBERS AND INSTITUTION OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES AND NATIONAL ASSEMBLY; BREACH OF THE PROVISIONS OF THE LEGISLATIVE HOUSES (POWERS AND PRIVILEGES) ACT, CAP. L12, LFN;
By Hon Emmanuel Orker-Jev
Notes that Hon. Abdulmumin Jibrin (Hon Jibrin), a member of the House was relieved of his appointment as Chairman of the House Committee on Appropriations on 21st July, 2016 by the Hon Speaker, Rt. Hon Yakubu Dogara in consultation with all Principal Officers,
FURTHER NOTES that following this action, Hon. Jibrin embarked on a campaign of calumny, and denigration by making false and scandalous statements and publications in print and electronic media and internet such as, Newspapers, Radio, Television, Video, Social media including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, against the all members of the House of Representatives collectively and the House of Representatives as an institution.
FURTHER ASSERTS that: The said statements were widely published and circulated worldwide by Hon Jibrin in the aforesaid print and electronic media in Nigeria and on-line and was read and intended to be read by the constituents of all Honourable members, including most villages, towns and cities across Nigeria including Abuja and also outside Nigeria.
HEREBY COLLATES some of Hon Jibrin’s statements and publications made against the the House of Representatives and all Honourable members follows:
1. On 14 August, 2016, Hon Jibrin made the following statement which was widely published in the newspapers :“…I have also commenced providing the anti corruption agencies clue on how investigative hearings in the House … are used as conduit pipes to carry out massive corruption…..”
2. Furthermore on August 9, 2016, he made the following statement which was widely published, thus: “..As it stands today, these corrupt elements have infiltrated the House, making the institution a hub of systemic corruption. I repeat there is massive individual and systemic corruption in the House of Representatives..”
3. He made another Statement that was published on August 21, 2016 to the effect that: “It is a known fact that legislative investigation is used as avenue to extort money in an organized crime ….”
4. In another Statement made by Hon Jibrin on August 21, 2016 and duly published by the newspapers he said: “I dare say corruption in the House of Representatives today is more than that of the executive and judiciary combined.”
5. In a Channels TV Interview (Politics Today) aired on Sunday, July 31, 2016 he made the following comment:
“..The House, there is corruption. I’d rather say there is corruption in the House of Representatives, not only is there corruption, there is institutional corruption and these are all things that i can also prove.”.
6. Finally, at an interview with AIT (Focus Nigeria) on 4th August 2016, he made the following comments designed not only disparage the House as an institution but insulted all Honoursble Members of this House: Hon Jibrin said:
“ .. i have said that there is corruption in the House and i am waiting, i am waiting for anyone that will come and tell me that i am lying. Corruption exists in the House of Representatives, corruption exists in investigative panels, corruption exists during oversight visits and that is why i explain to people when they tell me to settle with Dogara, I say look, what i am doing is beyond Dogara. It is beyond Dogara. . . . . i want the system to change. We want the right people to be in the House….we are tired of members who only come to the chamber, lick Tom Tom, eat groundnuts and go back to their offices. I have to stop that. I want to see a situation where in 2019, if a Nigerian wakes up and says he wants to be a member of the House of Representatives, he has to be someone that when he sits in that chamber and you are seated in your living room, you should be able to say i am proud that this is a member of the House of Representatives.”
The House resolves:
To refer the above matter and Hon Abdulmumin Jibrin to the House Committee on Ethics and privileges for proper investigation. The Committee shall report its findings and make appropriate recommendations to the House within one week.